Marvell (Santa Clara, CA) announced its new AC/DC LED driver Integrated Circuit (IC), the Marvell 88EM8189 featuring I2C compatible digital interface integration to connect with a networking microcontroller that runs a lighting control protocol, such as Zigbee, for smart wireless bulbs, providing premium dimming performance with a full dimming range from 100 percent to 1 percent. Marvell’s 88EM8189 chip integrates a separate high efficiency AC to DC power supply circuit providing standby power dedicated to the networking chip; therefore, lowering the bill-of-materials (BOM) for the electronics and drastically driving down the price point. Features include:
- Backward compatibility with existing phase cut wall dimmers as a system level option.
- A 88MZ100 ZigBee microcontroller, 88MC200 Wi-Fi microcontroller, and a low-cost ZigBee-to-Wi-Fi gateway solution.
- Single-stage fly-back or buck-boost topology.
- Integrated digital interface I2C for connection to networking microcontroller to provide digital dimming through ZigBee, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, PLC and other technologies.
- Integrated AC-DC converter for bias power supply to networking microcontroller.
To more information on the 88EM8189, visit www.marvell.com.