Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) introduced the industry’s first single-chip digital ultraviolet (UV) index sensor ICs designed to track UV sun exposure, heart/pulse rate, and blood oximetry and provide proximity/gesture control for smartphone and wearable computing products. The latest additions to Silicon Labs’ optical sensor family, the Si1132 and Si114x sensor ICs are ideal for activity-tracking wrist and arm bands, smart watches and smartphone handsets. In addition to enabling UV index sensing, the devices also provide ambient light and infrared (IR) proximity sensing capabilities for health and fitness applications. Features include:
- A 2 mm x 2 mm package.
- Si1132 UV index and ambient light sensor with an industry-standard I2C interface to read digital UV index values.
- Si1145/46/47 UV and IR proximity/ambient light sensors offering a choice of one, two or three integrated LED drivers with 15 selectable drive levels for gesture detection.
- Reflectance measurements that can be post-processed to determine gestures.
- An ambient light sensor capable of sensing light levels up to 128 kLux.
- 1.2 µA average current for once-per- second UV measurements.
- Up to 50 cm sensing range.
For more information, visit www.silabs.com/opticalsensors.