Digital Photo Frames Market Driven by Gift-Giving Status
The leading reason future digital photo frame purchasers will buy a frame is as a gift, according to new research from In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com . Among consumers planning to purchase a digital photo frame in the next 12 months, 38% of respondents to In-Stat's survey said they would buy the photo frame as a gift for someone else. As a result, the coming holiday season will be crucial for competitors in the digital photo frame market such as HP, Kodak, Pandigital, Philips, Samsung and Sony.
Overall, global shipments of wireless and wired digital photo frames are on the rise, as prices decline to affordable levels. In-Stat expects worldwide unit shipments of digital photo frames to reach 50 million by 2013.
The weak economy is certainly slowing growth in this market, as consumers cut back their discretionary spending. However, pricing continues to fall and awareness is growing. In addition, competitors are introducing next generation digital photo frames that support advanced functions, such as multimedia playback of movie clips and audio files, and include support for Wi-Fi or bluetooth connectivity.
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Nearly 60% of US respondents to In-Stat's consumer survey
identified integrated wireless connectivity as a desired feature on
their next digital photo frame purchase.
- Growth in digital photo frames creates a silicon opportunity
that will exceed $550 million by 2013. Microcontrollers
comprise the largest opportunity in non-wireless enabled devices.
- The bill of materials for a wireless 8-inch digital photo frame will fall below US$36 by 2013. The LCD, the wireless module and the enclosure are the dominant cost items.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, Wi-Fi Represents Strongest Opportunity in Global Connected Digital Photo Frame Market  (#IN0904506ID), which covers the worldwide market for wireless digital photo frames. It includes:
- Forecasts of digital photo frame unit sales and revenue (connected and non-connected) by functionality segment through 2013.
- Forecasts of average selling prices and bill of materials for digital photo frames through 2013.
- Total available market forecast for components and silicon through 2013.
- Analysis of a US consumer survey regarding digital frames.
- Profiles of digital photo frame vendors and silicon vendors including: HP, Kodak, Pandigital, Philips, Samsung, Sony, RMI Corporation, Marvell Technology Group, and Samsung Electronics.
The price is $2,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Portable Entertainment Devices service, which provides comprehensive analysis of the market for the hottest portable consumer electronic devices, such as portable media players, handheld gaming consoles, and personal navigation devices, and coverage of emerging devices, such as electronic books, digital photo frames, and electronic edutainment toys. The service also provides insight into the technologies, consumer requirements, and business models driving current and future demand.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts  on this, and related topic