Tablets Make Their Way Into the Workplace: Email and Note Takingare Most Popular Business Uses
The tablet has been the hottest device in the consumer market since Apple's 2010 iPad launch. Yet over the past year, tablet use has begun to crossover from the consumer world into the workplace. New NPD In-Stat (www.in-stat.com) research confirms that the most common business uses of tablets are email/calendar management, note taking, and presentations, with 77% reporting email as a common workplace use.
“Email is by far the most dominant tablet application for business users” says Frank Dickson, VP Mobile Research. “However, when you dig into the data, you find a plethora of strong niche uses arising. When business tablet users are asked to list ALL the applications they use, note taking, for example, is listed as the second most popular application. However, when survey respondents are asked to only select their most important uses, note taking is at the bottom of that list. In addition to email, customer relationship management and IT network intelligence are listed as 'most important' uses.”
Recent survey findings include the following:
- Less than half of respondents felt they were allowed to connect
to the corporate network.
- The current dynamic is that users are bringing their own
tablets into the workplace.
- Only 22% of owners in our survey had their tablets paid for by
- There is a high correlation between the usage of 3G on tablets and the frequency of business travel.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, The Business of Tablets: Tablet Usage in US Business (#IN1205312ID), which is based on survey results derived from In-Stat's Technology Adoption Panel (TAP) of technology users and decision makers who contribute their opinions and insights about technology usage and technology issues in the workplace and at home.
- TAP is a dynamic, online survey panel of approximately 18,000 technology users and decision makers.
- This particular survey yielded 905 respondents. Survey
questions were focused on tablet usage for business and personal
use. For a free sample of the report and more information, contact
Elaine Potter, firstname.lastname@example.org; (480) 483-4441.
This research is part of In-Stat's Smart Mobile Devices service, which provides analysis of the market for portable consumer electronics, including e-readers, digital photo frames, portable media players, handheld game consoles, personal navigation devices, digital cameras and mobile computing devices, such as tablets.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
- Title: The Business of Tablets: Tablet Usage in US Business
- Service: Smart Mobile Devices
- Product Number: IN1205312ID
- Publication Date: February 2012
- Number of Pages: 59
- Price: $2,995 USD
- Abstract, Table of Contents, Figures & Tables
- Members Only: Full text HTML, PDF
- Contact a Sales
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic