HDMI-Enabled Mobile PC Shipments to Surpass 300 Million in 2014
Last year we saw a dramatic increase for HDMI in portable consumer devices, including HD camcorders and digital still cameras (DSC). In addition, on the PC side, HDMI's share of mobile PCs, graphics cards, and PC monitors continued to increase. New In-Stat (www.in-stat.com) research forecasts that HDMI-enabled mobile PC shipments will surpass 300 million units in 2014.
“HDMI has made significant strides in mobile PCs over the past three years, since it has two big advantages in this market, says Brian O'Rourke, Research Director. “Its small size is a better fit for size-conscious mobile PC OEMs. In addition, HDMI's popularity across the CE segment makes HDMI a popular choice, especially for consumer mobile PCs. Dell, Sony, HP, Acer, and Toshiba all feature HDMI in their consumer notebook lines. Netbooks are adopting HDMI as well, particularly higher-end devices that are marketed as media devices, so that they can connect to an HDTV.”
Other details from the report include:
- Embedded DisplayPort will have a 35% attach rate in mobile PCs
- 117 million LCD PC monitors will ship with DVI in 2011.
- HDMI will have an 82% attach rate in A/V receivers in
- Over 19 million HDMI-enabled digital camcorders will ship in 2014.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, PC/Display Interface by Device, Q4'11 Forecast (#IN1105090MI), which provides actuals for 2010 and forecasts out to 2014 for the worldwide display interface device market with detailed segmentation by device type and technology.
Device Forecasts are provided for:
- Cellular devices (basic and feature phones, smartphones)
- Computing devices (desktops, mini-notes, notebooks, tablets)
- Peripheral devices (business projectors, LCD PC monitors, mobile PC docking stations)
- Portable consumer electronics devices (digital still cameras, digital camcorders, portable media players [PMPs], MP3 players)
- Stationary consumer electronics devices (A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, Blu-ray recorders, commercial displays, digital televisions, DVD players, DVD recorders, cable set top boxes, IP/DSL set top boxes, terrestrial set top boxes, satellite set top boxes, video game consoles)
Forecasts are also broken down further into the following technology segments:
- External DisplayPort
- Embedded DisplayPort
This research is part of In-Stat's Multimedia Interfaces service, which provides comprehensive analysis and forecasts the worldwide markets for interface technologies and tracks penetration of these technologies into PCs, PC peripherals, consumer electronics, communications, automotive, and industrial applications.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic