Wi-Fi Becomes the Multimedia Interface of Choice for Consumer Entertainment Devices
Wi-Fi has taken the entertainment device market by storm, with cameras, gaming devices (handheld and consoles), and personal media players (PMPs) incorporating the technology within the past few years, reports In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com. Wi-Fi-enabled entertainment device shipments will increase from 108.8 million in 2009 to 177.3 million in 2013.
While a growing number of entertainment devices have Wi-Fi embedded, most product categories only have a few players—often with a single company dominating the market. For gaming consoles and gaming devices, Nintendo dominates the market, selling 79% of Wi-Fi-enabled consoles and 87% of Wi-Fi-enabled handheld devices in 2009.
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Although the Apple iPod Touch clearly has the dominant
Wi-Fi-enabled PMP market share , many vendors have offerings in the
space including Archos, Chumby Industries, Com One, Commodore
International, Cowon, Creative, Dell, Haier, iriver, Logitech,
Microsoft, Mintpass, Nokia, Philips, Polaroid, Revo, SanDisk,
Sangean, Sirius, Slacker, Sony, Toshiba, and Venzero.
- Nikon shipped 91% of Wi-Fi-enabled cameras in H1 2009.
- For the past several years all gaming consoles have had Wi-Fi embedded, which is a trend that will continue throughout the forecast period. The most significant variance in handhelds will be the type of Wi-Fi embedded. Beginning in 2010, these devices will begin shipping with 802.11n, while previously all devices were being shipped with 802.11b.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, Wi-Fi in Entertainment Devices: Wi-Fi Becomes the Multimedia Interface of Choice (#IN0904628WS), which covers the worldwide market for entertainment devices with embedded Wi-Fi capability. It includes:
- Examination of the market for Wi-Fi in entertainment devices including drivers and barriers.
- Market share analysis of the gaming device market.
- Forecasts of worldwide WLAN chipset shipments and revenues through 2013.
- Profiles of major market players including Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Apple, SanDisk, Nikon, and Panasonic.
To purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/wcatalogue.asp?id=167
The price is $2,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Wi-Fi Markets service, which examines new applications for WLAN chips and devices in the business, home, and public sectors. The service covers emerging technology trends, as well as extension technologies like wireless mesh networking and wireless security.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic