HDTVs High on Holiday Shoppers' 2009 Lists, but Purchase Intent down from 2008
Over the last two years, High Definition Televisions (HDTVs) ranked as the most desired consumer electronic (CE) product at the holiday season; and it was no different this year. HDTVs remain at the top of respondents' holiday wish lists in 2009, according to market researcher In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com.
Over all, CE products continue to top holiday wish lists which is good news for retailers, CE manufacturers and suppliers. However, the downside is purchase intent has fallen from 2008. Our 2009 consumer survey reveals that the percentage of respondents who plan to purchase a CE device have declined within each CE market segment. In-Stat believes the economy is continuing to take a toll on consumer spending
For the fourth year in a row, In-Stat surveyed its proprietary Technology Adoption Panel about the different CE products they are considering for purchase this holiday season. The top products are:
- Notebook PCs
- Digital cameras
- Blu-ray players
- Desktop PCs
- While not in the top five desired CE categories among
respondents, the e-reader market is one of the hottest CE market
segments right now. Amazon is the leader in the market with
its expanding Kindle lineup; and the company has notably picked up
its holiday marketing and advertising. With a slew of new market
entrants and new e-reader models, e-reader sales could be
- The most desired feature in future e-readers is wireless
- Approximately 40% of future PC purchasers state that a need for better performance is the key PC purchase criteria.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, US Holiday Spending on Consumer Electronics (#IN0904508ID), which provides:
- Top five CE product categories respondents were targeting for purchase for the holidays, comparing responses from 2007, 2008, and 2009.
- Segmentation & identification of:
- Consumer types
- Product purchase influencers
- Reasons for purchase
- Targeted brands
- Planned spend
- Respondent demographics
- Products covered include HDTVs, PCs (desktop and laptop), digital cameras, personal navigation devices, digital photo frames, portable media players, mobile phones, and e-readers.
To purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/wcatalogue.asp?id=27
The price is $2,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Portable Entertainment Devices service, which provides comprehensive analysis of the market for the hottest portable consumer electronic devices, such as portable media players, handheld games, and personal navigation devices, and coverage of emerging devices, such as electronic books, digital radio, and electronic edutainment toys. The service also provides insight into the technologies, consumer requirements, and business models driving current and future demand.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic