Semiconductor Opportunity in Microcell, Picocells, and Femtocells Shifts to Wi-Max
Semiconductor revenue for WiMAX microcells, picocells, and femtocells is on course to a 46% compound annual growth rate from 2008 to 2013. The segment will pass $1 billion by 2013, reports In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com. Cellular femtocell semiconductors will be another growth segment for chip vendors. Worldwide cellular femtocell semiconductor revenue is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 260% between 2008 and 2013.
Cellular microcell semiconductor revenue will fall as base station deployments decline and semiconductor ASPs are pressed downward. The key for semiconductor vendors is to focus on the growth. Revenue from femtocell semiconductors, for example, will mirror revenue from the femtocells themselves as mobile operators migrate from larger base stations to smaller access points.
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Enterprise femtocells use very similar components as regular
femtocells, resulting in a favorable high volume/decreasing price
- Femtocell semiconductor revenue is dominated by gateways, and
less from standalone femtocells
- Femtocells, picocells, and microcells are expected to surpass
15 million units by 2013.
- Femtocells will make up 61% of small cellular base station revenue by 2013.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, A Cell of Your Own—Worldwide Micro, Pico, and Femtocell Market Analysis (#IN0904374GW), which covers the worldwide market for small cellular base stations. It includes:
- Forecasts of femtocell, picocell and microcell equipment unit sales and revenue through 2013.
- Forecasts of femtocell, picocell and microcell semiconductor revenue through 2013.
- Regional 5 year unit forecasts for each segment.
- WiMAX Micro, Pico and Femtocells and semiconductor revenue forecasts.
- Market and technology overviews.
- Vendor profiles.
The price is $3,495 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Cellular Infrastructure service, which provides comprehensive analysis of the components and equipment for wireless broadband and communication technologies, including the market trends and network technologies, such as micro, pico, and femtocells.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic