Personal Navigation Devices Battle GPS-Enabled Handset Challenge
The personal navigation device (PND) market is showing signs of maturity as price points decline sharply, consolidation occurs, and shipment growth slows, reports In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com. In addition, the increasing competition from GPS-enabled mobile phones represents the most significant threat the PND market will face. Nevertheless, stand-alone PND sales will continue to grow over the next five years, albeit at an anemic rate.
Drivers for continued PND market growth include average selling price declines, automobile manufacturers' desire to offer more affordable navigation options, and the potential growth anticipated from connected PNDs. Connected PNDs, like the recently announced Garmin nuvi 1690, can connect to the Internet and receive dynamic information such as flight updates, gas prices, and local weather. These expensive models may be a tough sell in the current struggling economy, however.
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Worldwide unit shipments for PNDs will reach approximately 56
million units in 2012.
- The total silicon opportunity for PNDs will pass $1 billion in
2010, before starting to decline. Processors will be the
largest semiconductor segment, followed by DRAM and NAND
- Among the semiconductor competitors in this market are
Broadcom, Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) & SiRF Technology,
Inc., GloNav/NXP/STMicroelectronics/Ericsson, Infineon, Qualcomm,
Samsung Electronics, and STMicroelectronics.
- GPS-enabled mobile phone shipments will nearly triple by 2013, compared with 2009.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, PNDs: Worldwide Shipments Grow Despite Increased Competition from GPS-Enabled Handsets (#IN0904504ID), which covers the worldwide market for personal navigation devices. It includes:
- Examination of developments in the PND market.
- Forecasts of PND unit shipments by region, annual revenue, bill of materials, average selling prices, and total available market for silicon and non-silicon for all PNDs through 2013.
- Profiles of manufacturers: Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, and LG.
- Profiles of component suppliers: Broadcom, Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) & SiRF Technology, Inc., GloNav/NXP/STMicroelectronics/Ericsson, Infineon, Qualcomm, Samsung Electronics, and STMicroelectronics.
To purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/wcatalogue.asp?id=27
The price is $2,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Portable Entertainment Devices service, which provides comprehensive analysis of the market for the hottest portable consumer electronic devices, such as portable media players, handheld gaming consoles, and personal navigation devices, and coverage of emerging devices, such as electronic books, digital radio, and electronic edutainment toys. The service also provides insight into the technologies, consumer requirements, and business models driving current and future demand.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic