CCDs Hang Tight in Some Segments as CMOS Sensors Continue the March Toward Dominance
CMOS image sensor unit shipments dominate over CCDs nearly 10 to 1 across all market segments, reports In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com. However, excluding the nearly 1.3 billion CMOS camera phone image sensors, CCDs remain strong contenders across several application segments including digital still cameras, camcorders and video surveillance.
CMOS image sensors have captured low cost applications, such as PC cameras and toys, while CCDs have remained the dominant image sensor in higher end cameras. However, by 2013 CMOS will have surpassed CCDs across virtually every segment, including still cameras, camcorders and security cameras.
A worldwide image sensor shipment forecast graphic is available here: http://www.instat.com/charts/09/IN0904458MI.htm
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Among the many competitors in the image sensor market are
Aptina, MagnaChip, OmniVision Technologies, Sharp, Sony, and
- CMOS sensors dominated image sensor shipments in 2008, with
more than an 87% share.
- Embedded PC cameras will surpass digital still cameras to
become the second-largest application for image sensors by
- CMOS will make up 62% of security camera image sensors by 2013.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, Image Sensors 2009: Camera Phones Continue to Dominate Shipments Worldwide (#IN0904458MI), which covers the worldwide market for image sensors. It includes:
- Worldwide unit shipment forecasts for CMOS and CCD sensors through 2013.
- Worldwide image sensor forecasts by product category through 2013.
- Analysis of the markets for various sensor applications.
- Profiles of image sensor suppliers.
The price is $2,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Multimedia & Interface Technologies service, which identifies and forecasts the markets for key interface technologies and tracks penetration of these technologies into PCs, PC peripherals, consumer electronics, communications, automotive and industrial applications. It also examines competitors, industry agendas, technology platforms, semiconductor technology and shipments. Supply and demand-side insights are combined to examine these dynamic, evolving technologies.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic