Texas Instruments introduces the industry’s first fully programmable DC arc detect reference solution. The RD-195 makes it faster and easier for designers to address a growing need to safeguard high-power DC systems, such as automobile and aircraft battery management systems, industrial factory equipment, and photovoltaic units, against the catastrophic damage that can result from arc faults. Designers can program the RD-195 to optimize the balance between arc-detection accuracy and false detection prevention to meet their system needs. The RD-195 is accompanied by a software application tool that enables alteration of threshold detection parameters. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/arcdetect-pr.
Key features and benefits of the RD-195
- Fully programmable reference solution: The arc detection threshold parameters can be configured using the accompanying software tool so that the system always detects valid arcs, while minimizing nuisance tripping.
- Extremely flexible and reliable: The RD-195 detects different types of arcs, including series, parallel and ground arcs. It is designed to operate in noisy environments with RF interference. Additionally, all signal chain components in the solution operate across the full industrial temperature range of -40 degrees C to +85 degrees C.
- Fast detection time: The typical response time of the solution is less than 100 ms, which allows the system controller to take quick action, mitigating the consequences of fires caused by arcing.
- Compliant to industry standards: The RD-195 is certified per the Underwriters Laboratories UL1699B standard, and is listed as a recognized device under UL1998. This helps ease and speed designers’ time to market with a UL-certified product. It is also compliant with the NEC690.11 solar power safety requirements.
- Easy development with the RD-195 EVM: The RD-195 evaluation module (EVM) enables designers to evaluate the RD-195 for a variety of applications. The EVM includes TI’s C2000 Piccolo TMS320F28033 32-bit microcontroller with C28x core and control law accelerator (CLA), one SM73201 16-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), three SM73307 dual-channel precision operational amplifiers (op amps), and one SM73308 low noise, rail-to-rail output op amp. Also included are bill of materials, schematic, board layout files, software application tool, firmware licensing agreement, arc detect code with UL1998 models, and application note.
Tools and support
The RD-195 reference solution features a software application tool that allows designers to fine-tune the system’s arc detection threshold levels to increase its accuracy in detecting valid arcs and avoiding false detects. Also included are reference design CAD files.
Technical support is available on the Precision Data Converters Forum in the TI E2ET Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The RD-195 arc detect reference evaluation kit is available today at a suggested retail price of US$199.