Amplifier enables current measurement in green energy applications
Texas Instruments introduced an isolated amplifier and a delta-sigma modulator that enable best-in-class shunt-based current measurement in motor control and green energy applications. The AMC1200 isolated amplifier and AMC1204 delta-sigma modulator allow designers to increase accuracy, temperature stability and immunity to magnetic fields in equipment such as AC drives, solar inverters and uninterruptible power supplies. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/amc1200-pr.
The AMC1200 is a 4-kV peak isolated amplifier providing 80-percent better linearity and gain drift compared to competitive devices while reducing power consumption by 50 percent. The AMC1204 is a 20-MHz, externally-clocked, isolated delta-sigma modulator that provides 40-percent better linearity than the competition.
Key features and benefits
- AMC1200 isolated amplifier:
- High precision with a maximum non-linearity of 0.07 percent and gain drift of 56 ppm/C.
- Reduced power consumption with a low high-side supply current of no more than 8 mA at 5 V.
- Fully specified over the extended industrial temperature range of -40 to 105 degrees C – 20 degrees higher than competitive offerings.
- Easy connection to analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and microcontrollers (MCUs) with 5-V or 3.3-V operation on the low side and self-adjusting common mode voltage.
- AMC1204 isolated delta-sigma modulator:
- Ultra-high accuracy with best-in-class non-linearity of +/- 8 LSB, maximum, and a digital output that allows designers to define digital filter characteristics based on system requirements.
- Includes an external clock interface to enable simultaneous measurement of multiple channels.
- Both devices provide high electromagnetic interference immunity and a robust isolation barrier certified by UL 1577 and IEC 60747-5-2. The AMC1204 is also CSA-certified.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed design for customers. Design tools for the AMC1200 include an evaluation module, as well as simulation models. An evaluation module and IBIS model are available for the AMC1204.
Engineers can also ask questions and help solve problems in the Precision Data Converter Forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The AMC1200 is available now in a 10-mm x 7-mm SOIC package for a suggested retail price of $2.20 in 1,000-unit quantities.
The AMC1204 is available now in a 10-mm x 10-mm SOIC package for a suggested retail price of $3.45 in 1,000-unit quantities.