TI’s new evaluation platform drives three-phase brushless motors
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced a complete motor control evaluation kit for spinning brushless DC (BLDC) and permanent magnet synchronous (PMSM) motors. The DRV8312-C2-KIT is a high-performance, power-efficient and cost-effective sensorless field-oriented control (FOC) and trapezoidal commutation platform. It spins motors out of the box, speeding development of sub-50-V and 6.5-A brushless motors for driving medical pumps, gates, lifts and small pumps, as well as industrial and consumer robotics and automation. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/drv8312-c2-kit-pr.
Key features and benefits:
- Out-of-the-box motor control and driver solution includes the DRV8312 motor driver, a 32-bit C2000™ Piccolo™ microcontroller (MCU) controlCARD module, a quick-start graphical user interface, full development source code, Code Composer Studio™ (CCStudio) integrated development environment (IDE) and a three-phase BLDC motor.
- Flexible control platform that supports sensorless FOC, and sensorless and sensored trapezoidal commutation control for rapid evaluation and development of three-phase motors. By adding a separate shaft encoder, the DRV8312-C2-KIT can also support sensored FOC.
- DRV8312 three-phase, fractional-horsepower motor driver provides the highest current output in its class, delivering up to 6.5 A, without the need for a costly external heat sink. The DRV8312 motor driver is robust, reliable and fully protected with cycle-by-cycle over-current, over-temperature, cross-conduction and under-voltage protection, reducing design complexity and board space, and ensuring higher system reliability.
- C2000 Piccolo MCU performs control, communications, and debug functions. The industry-leading 32-bit C2000 MCU integrates the most advanced analog feedback, digital control peripherals and CPU capability in an embedded MCU device family starting under $2. This includes access to the most thorough set of motor control software modules, real-time debug capabilities, and open-tooled reference designs via free controlSUITE™ software.
Availability and pricing
The DRV8312-C2-KIT is available now for $299. This price includes CCStudio IDE with no compiler or memory limitations. All documentation, software source, and the hardware development package – including bill of materials, schematics, and gerbers – is freely available through controlSUITE.
A complete evaluation kit based on the DRV8412 motor driver is also available for spinning brushed DC and stepper motors. The DRV8412-C2-KIT is priced at $299.
Learn more about TI’s motor control solutions by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the DRV8312-C2-KIT: www.ti.com/drv8312-c2-kit-pr.
- See the DRV8312-C2-KIT spin a motor in this short video: www.ti.com/drv8312-c2-kit-vid-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Motor Drivers Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2emotor-pr.
- Check out motor control block diagrams, application notes, videos and selection guides: www.ti.com/motorcontrol-pr.
TI spins motors
TI combines a rich history in motor drive and control, a broad portfolio of analog and microcontroller products and a comprehensive offering of tools, software and support to deliver efficient, reliable, cost-effective motor solutions. Customers can get the right solutions at the right performance level to quickly spin any motor, including AC induction (ACIM), brushed DC (DC), BLDC, PMSM and stepper.