Software Brings Web-Based Connectivity and Control to Embedded Apps
AdaCore announced the launch of Ada Web Server (AWS) for Wind River’s VxWorks Real-Time Operating System (RTOS). When used in conjunction with the GNAT Pro development environment, AWS enables developers to embed an Ada-based web server within any application, accessible through web browsers. With AWS for VxWorks, users can connect through a direct TCP/IP link to board-level applications for a variety of purposes, such as system control, configuration, and/or maintenance. The two-way interface is both lightweight and flexible.
In the past, AWS has been available on native operating systems, including Windows and Linux. VxWorks is the first RTOS supported by AWS, providing developers with a target-independent solution for creating user interfaces for embedded applications. Ports to additional embedded RTOS platforms are currently under development.
"Embedded applications used to be fairly self-contained and autonomous. This picture is changing rapidly, and a growing number now have a connection to the Internet or at least to a company's intranet,” said Cyrille Comar, Managing Director, AdaCore. “AWS for VxWorks provides GNAT Pro customers with a very simple and integrated way to implement a user interface to their embedded devices through regular web browsers, bringing the power of modern web technology to the traditional embedded world.”
“Wind River is pleased to see AWS support made available for the VxWorks platform,” said Chip Downing, senior director of aerospace and defense at Wind River. “AdaCore continues to add advanced capabilities for VxWorks that expand the use cases for both products.”
Key features of AWS:
· Web Parameters Module for retrieving forms or URL parameters and building an associative table for easy access
· Session Server that keeps client data from page to page
· SOAP support for developing web services and generating stubs/skeletons from a WSDL document
· Template parser, allowing the complete separation of web design from code
· HTTPS/SSL, for Secure Sockets based on the OpenSSL library
· Support for large servers and virtual hosting using dispatchers based on URI request methods or host names
· Server Push support
· Log Module to keep log file of all resources requested by servers
· Support for SOAP, SMTP, POP and LDAP protocols and the AJAX standard
· Client-side support using client API to retrieve any web page from a web page
· High-level services, including directory browser, status page for information, and web page service to build simple static page servers
AWS for Wind River VxWorks is available immediately. For pricing information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About GNAT Pro
The GNAT Pro development environment, available on more platforms than any other Ada toolset, is a full-featured, multi-language development environment complete with libraries, bindings and a range of supplementary tools. It provides a natural solution for organizations that need to create reliable, efficient, and maintainable code. GNAT Pro implements all three versions of the Ada language standard – Ada 83, Ada 95, and Ada 2005 – and the latest version of GNAT Pro implements some of the new features in Ada 2012. GNAT Pro is based on the widely used GCC technology and is backed by rapid and expert support service.
AdaCore has an extensive world-wide customer base; see http://www.adacore.com/home/company/customers/ for further information.
AdaCore has North American headquarters in New York and European headquarters in Paris. www.adacore.com