Allegro MicroSystems Announces New Switching Regulator Series
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc. announces a new series of hybrid integrated circuits (HICs) with a built-in power MOSFET and a control IC designed for quasi-resonant type switch-mode power supplies (SMPS). In normal operation, the HIC provides high efficiency and low EMI noise with bottom-skip quasi-resonant operation during light output loads. Low power consumption is also achieved by blocking (intermittent) oscillation during an auto-standby mode (not available in the STR-X6729, STR-X6759N, or STR-X6768N) and reduced even further in a manually triggered (clamping an output voltage) standby mode. This new series is targeted at the consumer, office automation and industrial markets.
The HIC is supplied in a seven-pin fully-molded TO-3–style package with pin 2 deleted, which is suitable for downsizing and standardizing of an SMPS by reducing external component count and simplifying circuit design.
Key features and benefits include the following:
- Blocking (or intermittent) oscillation operation in the auto-standby or manual standby modes
- In addition to the standard quasi-resonant operation, a bottom-skip function is available for increased efficiency from light to medium load
- Soft-start operation at start-up
- Reduced switching noise (compared to conventional PWM hard-switching solution) with a step-drive function
- Built-in avalanche-energy-guaranteed power MOSFET (to simplify surge-absorption circuit; no VDSS derating is required)
- Overcurrent protection (OCP), overvoltage protection (OVP), overload protection (OLP), and maximum On-time control circuits are incorporated; OVP and OLP go into a latched mode
This new series is priced betrween $4.70 and $5.00 (1K quantity) dependent on package type. All devices have a 12 week typical lead-time to market.
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc. is leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing high-performance power integrated circuits and integrated Hall-effect magnetic sensors. Allegro's innovative solutions serve high-growth applications within the automotive, communications, computer/office automation, consumer and industrial markets. Allegro is headquartered in Worchester, Massachusetts (USA) with design and applications center located in North and South America, Asia, and Europe. Further information about Allegro can be found at www.allegromicro.com.