Texas Instruments announced the Sensor Hub BoosterPack for its Tiva C Series TM4C123G LaunchPad. This plug-in daughter card that allows ARM Cortex-M4 MCU developers create products with up to seven types of motion and environmental sensing capabilities. The board and software enables measurement of pressure, humidity, ambient and infrared (IR) light along with temperature and motion (including acceleration, orientation and compass). Developers can use the board to create many sensor fusion applications, including global positioning system (GPS) tracking, home and building automation, portable consumer electronics, games and many more applications.
The BOOSTXL-SENSHUB BoosterPack can leverage the advanced processing, floating-point and communication capabilities of TI’s Tiva C Series TM4C123GH6 ARM Cortex-M4 MCU for enhanced sensor accuracy. TI’s TivaWare software, provided with the LaunchPad kit, includes an easy-to-use Sensor Driver Library, providing developers with a sensor fusion API and several example applications that demonstrate how each of the sensors operate individually or in collaboration. The ‘Air Mouse’ is an example of a sensor fusion application that can be used to kick start design ideas and innovation for other multi-sensor applications. The BOOSTXL-SENSHUB can also be bundled with TI’s connectivity solutions, enabling developers to “cut the cords” and create wireless sensing applications.
Similarly, TivaWare software also includes the Peripheral Driver Library to configure and operate the on-chip peripherals with a set of example applications. These applications demonstrate the capabilities of the Tiva TM4C123GH6 MCU, as well as provide a starting point for users to develop the final application for use on the Tiva C Series LaunchPad and BOOSTXL-SENSHUB BoosterPack.
Features of the BOOSTXL-SENSHUB kit:
• Hardware compatible with existing MSP430 (MSP-EXP430G2) and C2000 (LAUNCHXL-F28027) LaunchPads, allowing developers to evaluate sensor functionalities on TI-developed MCU platforms.
• Optional RF extension module (EM) adaptor enables Bluetooth, ZigBee, Wi-Fi and 6LoWPAN connectivity for wireless and remote sensing applications.
• TI’s TMP006 contactless IR temperature sensor provides accurate temperature measurements for the object it sees.
• Includes BoosterPack XL connection standard with two pairs of 10-pin headers for LaunchPad interface and additional Tiva C Series-based expansion signals.
• Variety of tool chains supported, including TI’s Code Composer Studio v.6, so developers can design in the most integrated development environment (IDE) with which they are most comfortable.
Texas Instruments, www.ti.com