Multiple Companies and Technologies Vie to Enable Mobile Payment Services in China
External Storage Devices will be among Leading Peripherals for SuperSpeed USB Adoption
“SuperSpeed” USB technology, also known as USB 3.0, will see broad adoption across a range of PC and PC peripherals over the next several years, according to In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com . Among peripherals, SuperSpeed USB will be targeted initially at devices requiring high data transfer rates and large data stores, such as external hard-disk drives and Flash Drives. Other likely target devices include Portable Media Players (PMPs), LCD PC monitors, and digital still cameras.
In-Stat projects that attach rates for SuperSpeed USB will soar to over 70% in external hard-drives by 2012, with similar attach rates in notebook and desktop PCs. Initial adoption will emerge in 2010. By 2013, shipments of USB 3.0 flash drives will approach 200 million units worldwide. Eventually, mobile phones will be the highest volume segment, simply due to the overwhelming volume phones shipped. Overall, SuperSpeed USB will represent over 25% of the USB market by 2013.
SuperSpeed may eventually move beyond those target applications requiring the highest bandwidth. However, in order to achieve broader adoption, cost will have to go down significantly. To get SuperSpeed USB costs down and increase attach rates, the technology will have to be integrated into the application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), and System-on-a-Chips (SoCs), that power the peripherals.
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- With over three billion devices shipped in 2008 alone, USB is
the most successful interface ever. It has been broadly adopted
across PCs, PC peripherals, consumer electronics (CE),
communications and automotive devices.
- Digital TVs with USB will grow to 140 million units shipped in
- Consumer electronics devices with USB will rise at a 6.6% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) between 2008 and 2013.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, Wired USB 2009: High-Speed Rules, SuperSpeed on the Way  (#IN0904460MI), which covers the worldwide market for USB and USB-enabled devices. It includes:
- USB-enabled device forecasts by type and by detailed product category through 2013.
- USB-enabled device penetration forecasts by detailed product category through 2013.
- Product category segmentation for:
- Computers: Desktop PCs, Mobile PCs
- Computer Peripherals: Mobile PC Docking Stations, Discrete Host Controllers, Ink Jet and Laser Printers, Multifunction Peripherals , Scanners, Web Cameras, LCD Monitors, External Hard Disk Drives, External Optical Writers (DVD and CD), Standalone Flash Card Readers, Hubs, Keyboards and Mice, Gamepads and Joysticks, USB Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Adaptors, USB Flash Drives, USB PC Speakers
- Consumer Electronics: Digital Still Cameras, Digital Camcorders, Digital Televisions, Personal Digital Assistants, Set-Top Boxes (STBs), Standalone PVRs, Portable Media Players, Video Game Consoles, Handheld Game Consoles, DVD Recorders, DVD Players, Blue Laser DVD Recorders, Blue Laser DVD Players, A/V Receivers
- Communications: Mobile Phones, External Cable and DSL Modems and Gateways, External Cellular Modems
- Results from In-Stat's residential technology survey regarding USB.
- USB silicon vendor profiles: Cypress Semiconductor, DisplayLink, Fresco Logic, Gennum, Intel, LSI, LucidPort Technology, MCCI, NEC, PLX (Oxford Semiconductor), SMSC, STEriccson, Symwave, Synopsys, Texas Instruments.
The price is $3,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat's Multimedia & Interface Technologies service, which identifies and forecasts the markets for key interface technologies and tracks penetration of these technologies into PCs, PC peripherals, consumer electronics, communications, automotive and industrial applications. It also examines competitors, industry agendas, technology platforms, semiconductor technology and shipments. Supply and demand-side insights are combined to examine these dynamic, evolving technologies.
Related In-Stat research:
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts  on this, and related topic