Advertisement
News
Advertisement

RI to get $230M from $500M Google forfeiture

Mon, 04/02/2012 - 9:05am
The Associated Press

Rhode Island law enforcement agencies that participated in an investigation that resulted in Google Inc. forfeiting $500 million last year are receiving $230 million of that money.

U.S. Attorney Peter Neronha (nuh-ROH'-nuh) said Monday that the attorney general's office, East Providence police and North Providence police will each receive $60 million.

State police will receive $45 million and the National Guard will get $5 million. And $100 million will be shared by four federal agencies that participated in the probe.

The remaining $170 million will be deposited in the U.S. Department of Justice's Assets Forfeiture Fund.

Google forfeited the money to settle a government investigation into its distribution of online ads from Canadian pharmacies that were illegally selling prescription drugs to American consumers. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company has said it should have never allowed the ads.

Advertisement

Share this Story

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.
Loading