Active Mobile VoIP Subscribers to Triple in 2011
Driven by increased smartphone penetration and a growing breadth of offerings, mobile VoIP usage is on the rise. As the addressable market increases with smartphone penetration a greater number of providers are introducing services, including a growing handful of mobile operators that are beginning to embrace, to some degree, mobile VoIP. New In-Stat (www.in-stat.com) research reports that active mobile VoIP subscriber rates will triple in 2011, growing from 9 million in 2010 to 29 million.
“While VoIP is a well-defined market, mobile VoIP is still in its infancy, with most offerings only being developed over the past several years, and because it's in its nascent stage, there are significant opportunities for companies to develop the market,” says Amy Cravens, Senior Analyst. “However, there are also a number of uncertainties, which is not surprising in a new market.”
Key analysis includes:
- The primary distribution channel utilized by respondents to
access mobile VoIP offerings is through the OS application
- The largest concentration of mobile VoIP users is in Western
- Revenues associated with mobile VoIP usage will increase to
over $4 billion in 2015.
- LTE operators are not likely to have a significant impact on the mobile VoIP market until 2013.
This Market Alert is drawn from the In-Stat research, Mobile VoIP 2012: Mobile Operators Provide a Guarded Embrace (#IN1104931MCM), which explores the emerging market for mobile VoIP offerings, covering:
- Definition and discussion of mobile VoIP
- Discussion of the broad spectrum of mobile VoIP industry participants including start-ups, online VoIP providers, mobile virtual network operators, mobile virtual network enablers, and the mobile operators themselves
- The breadth of mobile VoIP solutions and analysis of key providers
- Elements impeding and promoting the adoption of mobile VoIP
- Discussion of underlying markets including smartphone adoption and 3G/4G services
- Forecasts of worldwide mobile VoIP subscribers, usage, and revenues segmented by region and associated provider (independent, 3G, LTE)
- Vendor profiles of market incumbents, established new entrants, and recent start-ups including; 3 Mobile, AT&T, fring, Google, JAJAH, Nimbuzz, Raketu, Rebtel, Skype, Telefonica/O2, Truphone, T-Mobile, Vopium, Vonage, and Verizon Wireless.
This research is part of In-Stat's Mobile Applications & Services, which provides analysis and forecasts of the markets for mobile applications and content, including consumer perspectives, usage models, competitive business models, mobile applications, and operating systems (OS).
More Information on this Research
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topic