Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd. has developed the world's thinnest type waterproof piezoelectric speaker with improved sound quality and has started its mass-production.
As the smartphone market expands, mobile phones are evolving from a device used simply for phone conversations into information processing terminals assuming connectivity to the Internet network. As a result, user operation time of the terminal is increasing along with power consumption. Continuous long hour operation of mobile phones has become a major issue for terminal manufactures. Various mobile phone manufacturers have been able to achieve long hour operation of mobile phones by developing large-sized batteries that are installed in the phones. Consequently, there is an ever-growing demand for development of even smaller and lower profile electronic components to be used in mobile phones.
Murata has introduced a lineup of ultra-thin piezoelectric speakers (0.9mm thick) until now and these speakers have been adopted for many devices. In June 2011, we started mass-production of the piezoelectric speaker VSLBP2115E series with enhanced sound characteristics. Our ultra-thin speakers contribute significantly to increasing the design flexibility of a target device.
Furthermore, 35 out of 46 models of the 2011 autumn/winter mobile phones released in Japan are expected to have a waterproof feature. Waterproof support is on its way to becoming a standard feature for mobile phones including smartphones.
Because of the above reason, we enabled waterproof support for the high sound quality piezoelectric speaker VSLBP2115E series by reviewing parts of its design, and have started mass-production of the new product as the waterproof piezoelectric speaker VSLBG2216E series.
Murata's waterproof speakers provide a waterproof performance of the IPX7* grade without using a waterproof sheet like conventional speakers. In addition to eliminating the costs of the waterproof sheet and its installation, the VSLBG2216E series offers higher quality music playback because there is no more sheet to block the sound output hole.
|*IPX7:||Waterproof performance grade defined by JIS and IEC. This grade indicates waterproof protection against immersion in water for a short period of time. To be more specific, this standard is defined in JIS C0920 (IEC 60529) .|
- Ultra-thin speaker with 0.9mm thickness enables greater flexibility in target product design
- Waterproof performance of IPX7 grade without the use of waterproof sheet
- No more material cost for waterproof sheet
- No more installation cost for waterproof sheet
- No waterproof sheet to cause sound deterioration due to blocking
- This speaker has no magnet. Therefore, it is free from troubles caused by absorbing iron sand and there is no electromagnetic noise that may affect magnetic sensors.
- This speaker can use a lower primary resonant frequency range than the conventional waterproof piezoelectric speaker (VSLBG1914E series) .
Mobile phones, tablet computers, mobile Internet devices (MID), e-books, portable music players, digital still cameras, digital video cameras, IC recorders, and other mobile devices
Sound Pressure Level vs. Frequency Characteristics (VSLBG2216E1100-T0 typical characteristics)
|Measurement case:||Murata standard case (Speaker back side capacity: 1.0cc)|
|Input signal:||5Vrms sine wave signal|
(Four-point average of 1.0k, 1.25k, 1.5k, and 2.0kHz; input: 5Vrms sine wave signal at 100mm)
|Resonant frequency:||1150Hz±20% (input: 5.0Vrms sine wave signal)|
|Capacitance:||1.5µF±30%(0.1Vrms; at 120Hz)|
Mass-production started from November 2011.
(One million units per month)
250yen per unit
In addition to this newly released product, Murata piezoelectric speaker product lineup includes the following standard products.
- VSLBP1913E1400-T1 (compact, case type)
- VSLBF1913E1400-T1 (compact, caseless type)
- VSLBG1914E1400-T0 (compact, waterproof type)
- VSLBP2115E1100-T1 (high sound characteristics, case type)
For more information on our product lineup, please refer to the following URL