Blogs
View Sample

FREE Email Newsletter

ECN Daily

In Case You Missed Them: Energy Savers Blog Entries You Should Read

February 1, 2010 2:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Every now and then, I like to take a look back at some of the entries we've published over the last year on the Energy Savers Blog. We try not to repeat ourselves (too much), so if you're looking for a particular topic to be covered on the blog, be sure to check out the categories and...

TOPICS:

Let's Get it Started!

January 31, 2010 4:53 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

Although there have already been plenty of activities surrounding SolidWorks World 2010, the event officially begins today at 7:00am. The registration area is one of my favorite places to hang out (in fact, it's one of my SWW duties) and I'll be there most of the day. Saturday was full of...

Oh My, What Have I Done?

January 30, 2010 5:54 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

It's early Saturday morning here in Anaheim and I'm getting ready to start my first day at SolidWorks World 2010. I guess technically last night was my first day since I had a dinner meeting with the boss at Morton's (mmmm...meat), but things will get a little busier today. I'm working on...

Bomb-detecting “divining rod” banned for export

January 29, 2010 8:57 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

They say truth is stranger than fiction. Since 2008, Iraq’s military and police have utilized a divining rod (err, a “bomb detection device”) known as the ADE 651 to detect explosives. The ADE 651 has undoubtedly cost countless lives. Thus, justice was served when its creator, Jim McCormick, was arrested on suspicion of fraud.

TOPICS:

Study: distracted driving laws don't stop crashes

January 29, 2010 8:33 am | Comments

A new study from the insurance industry finds that state laws banning wireless calling or texting while driving have not resulted in fewer vehicle crashes. The study, conducted by the Highway Loss Data Institute and released Friday, examined insurance claims from crashes before and after such bans took effect in California, New York, Connecticut and Washington, D.C.

TOPICS:

“Smartgun” locks out unauthorized users

January 29, 2010 8:00 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

A gun owner’s worst nightmare is his own weapon being turned against him. The Armatix “Smartgun” concept presents a novel solution—fingerprint identification, combined with biometric authentication (paired with a wristwatch) makes the weapon useless in the wrong hands.

TOPICS:

Air Force museum unveils Reaper exhibit

January 28, 2010 10:47 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

Since 2007, the MQ-9 Reaper RPV (Remotely Piloted Vehicle) has been on the front lines of the war on terror. It scored its first kill in October ’07, and has served a crucial role ever since. On Monday, the National Museum of the Air Force officially unveiled its new MQ-9 Reaper exhibit.

TOPICS:

Cooling with multilayer capacitors

January 28, 2010 8:31 am | by M. Simon | Comments

Cooling with multilayer capacitors (MLC) is reported [pdf} by some Russian scientists. Here is an abstract from their paper.

TOPICS:

One Laptop Per Child In Haiti

January 27, 2010 9:38 am | by M. Simon | Comments

One Laptop Per Child is working in Haiti to help mitigate the disaster. Here is part of their press release.

TOPICS:

I'm Out

January 27, 2010 1:52 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

I'm leaving today to attend the Yakima SolidWorks User Group meeting on Thursday, and then heading to sunny California for SolidWorks World. If you are going to be in Anaheim, look me up.

5 (More) Things to Know Before You Claim Your Energy Tax Credit: Part 2

January 26, 2010 11:53 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Yesterday, I started the list of things to know before you claim your tax credit. If you missed it, go back and check out part one. The list covers the forms you'll need, the tax credit maximums, which credits can (and cannot) be carried over, which credits include installation costs (and...

TOPICS:

Next-Gen Touch Screen Inspired by Coffee Rings

January 26, 2010 3:50 am | by Eric Bland | Comments

Taking advantage of ink's natural tendency to create "coffee rings," a group of Israeli scientists has developed a type of ink jet dye that could one day create a range of devices.

TOPICS:

Building an Arsenal against Counterfeiters

January 25, 2010 9:34 am | by Barry LaFontaine, Fusion Trade(www.fusiontrade.com) | Comments

The problem with counterfeit parts plaguing the distribution chain is not going away. In fact, it’s getting worse.

TOPICS:

My SolidWorks World Sessions

January 25, 2010 7:52 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

I originally intended to complete my schedule last Friday, but I took the weekend to refine my choices. It wasn't easy - there are way too many really good sessions to choose from. Here's is my schedule, and some of the reasons I chose the sessions I did. Monday, February 1st - 10:30am to...

Veeco Gets Some Screen Time in Avatar

January 25, 2010 7:52 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

I got this from Tom Cote this morning. It's pretty cool to know that your products are used in a movie, even cooler to actually pick them out while watching it, and the icing on the cake is getting a mention during the closing credits.

Pages

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.