On Semi Debuts Greenpoint Power Supplies
On Semi's goal for the design is full-load power supply efficiency of 86.5 percent at high-line and 82.5 percent efficiency at 20 percent of load and low-line. This reduces power losses by approximately 50 percent, compared to typical power supplies on the market today which average 70 percent power efficiency, officials said. The design also meets IEC61000-3-2 power factor requirements. Full details are available here.
Products in the reference design include:
- NCP1653: A compact continuous conduction mode power factor correction controller for building cost-effective front-ends without range switches. It's offered in Pb-free 8-lead SOIC and PDIP packages and costs $0.80 in 2,500-unit quantities.
- NCP1562: This active-clamp pulse width modulation (PWM) voltage-mode controller has a ±5% duty cycle limit with a soft-stop to prevent the typical oscillations in the forward active-clamp topology. The device has a dual-mode over-current protection circuit that handles momentary and continuous over-current conditions differently. It's offered in Pb-free 16-lead TSSOP and SOIC packages and costs $1.60 in 2,500-unit quantities.
- NCP1027: It's a high-voltage switcher with a power MOSFET and a startup current source, connected to the bulk capacitor. To prevent lethal runaway in low input voltage conditions, an adjustable brown-out circuitry blocks the activity until sufficient input level is reached. Offered in a Pb-free 8-pin PDIP package, it costs $0.97 per unit in 1,000-unit quantities.
- NCP4330: This synchronous post-regulator replaces the mag-amp to provide higher efficiency in the output section of the ATX power supply. It has a Pb-free 8-pin SOIC package and costs $0.60 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
- MSR860: An 8 A, 600 V power rectifier with On Semi's Switchmode soft recovery feature. It's offered in a Pb-free TO-220 package, costing $1.07 USD in 50-unit quantities.