Blogs
View Sample

FREE Email Newsletter

ECN Daily

Sites I Thought About Last Wednesday

February 2, 2010 9:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Last Wednesday, like so many others likely did, I found myself watching President Obama's State of the Union address. Now, admittedly, a sentence like that kind of invites a whole lot of thoughts and opinions, but I'm not thinking much about that - I'm just using it for a springboard for...

Mobile Data Strains Cellular Networks

February 2, 2010 9:04 am | Comments

With the launch of the iPad last week it is clear what was the number one news item in the gadget industry... Cellular networks are already buckling under the strain of mobile data.

“ChemBot” takes cue from The Terminator

February 2, 2010 4:13 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

It can morph from a liquid to a solid state, but can’t form “knives and stabbing weapons.” It can squeeze through tight spaces, join with others, and expand in size. No, it’s not the T-1000, but a new “chemical robot” created by the Pentagon. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Association (DARPA) sought to create a “ChemBot” that could perform the following functions...

TOPICS:

Are Fossil-Fuel CO2 Emissions a Problem?

February 1, 2010 6:06 am | by Ken Johnson | Comments

The Oct. 2007 issue of the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons contained a comprehensive 12 page report analyzing the factual data of over 100 studies concerning effects of carbon dioxide (CO2) on the environment.

TOPICS:

What Do You Plan to Buy for an Energy Tax Credit or Rebate in 2010?

February 1, 2010 2:53 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

We've been talking a lot about tax credits and rebates on the blog recently. We may sound like a broken record, but we really want you to be aware of the incentives available if you are considering a purchase for your home.

In Case You Missed Them: Energy Savers Blog Entries You Should Read

February 1, 2010 2:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Every now and then, I like to take a look back at some of the entries we've published over the last year on the Energy Savers Blog. We try not to repeat ourselves (too much), so if you're looking for a particular topic to be covered on the blog, be sure to check out the categories and...

Let's Get it Started!

January 31, 2010 4:53 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

Although there have already been plenty of activities surrounding SolidWorks World 2010, the event officially begins today at 7:00am. The registration area is one of my favorite places to hang out (in fact, it's one of my SWW duties) and I'll be there most of the day. Saturday was full of...

Oh My, What Have I Done?

January 30, 2010 5:54 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

It's early Saturday morning here in Anaheim and I'm getting ready to start my first day at SolidWorks World 2010. I guess technically last night was my first day since I had a dinner meeting with the boss at Morton's (mmmm...meat), but things will get a little busier today. I'm working on...

Bomb-detecting “divining rod” banned for export

January 29, 2010 8:57 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

They say truth is stranger than fiction. Since 2008, Iraq’s military and police have utilized a divining rod (err, a “bomb detection device”) known as the ADE 651 to detect explosives. The ADE 651 has undoubtedly cost countless lives. Thus, justice was served when its creator, Jim McCormick, was arrested on suspicion of fraud.

TOPICS:

Study: distracted driving laws don't stop crashes

January 29, 2010 8:33 am | Comments

A new study from the insurance industry finds that state laws banning wireless calling or texting while driving have not resulted in fewer vehicle crashes. The study, conducted by the Highway Loss Data Institute and released Friday, examined insurance claims from crashes before and after such bans took effect in California, New York, Connecticut and Washington, D.C.

TOPICS:

“Smartgun” locks out unauthorized users

January 29, 2010 8:00 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

A gun owner’s worst nightmare is his own weapon being turned against him. The Armatix “Smartgun” concept presents a novel solution—fingerprint identification, combined with biometric authentication (paired with a wristwatch) makes the weapon useless in the wrong hands.

Air Force museum unveils Reaper exhibit

January 28, 2010 10:47 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

Since 2007, the MQ-9 Reaper RPV (Remotely Piloted Vehicle) has been on the front lines of the war on terror. It scored its first kill in October ’07, and has served a crucial role ever since. On Monday, the National Museum of the Air Force officially unveiled its new MQ-9 Reaper exhibit.

Cooling with multilayer capacitors

January 28, 2010 8:31 am | by M. Simon | Comments

Cooling with multilayer capacitors (MLC) is reported [pdf} by some Russian scientists. Here is an abstract from their paper.

One Laptop Per Child In Haiti

January 27, 2010 9:38 am | by M. Simon | Comments

One Laptop Per Child is working in Haiti to help mitigate the disaster. Here is part of their press release.

I'm Out

January 27, 2010 1:52 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

I'm leaving today to attend the Yakima SolidWorks User Group meeting on Thursday, and then heading to sunny California for SolidWorks World. If you are going to be in Anaheim, look me up.

Pages

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.