Blogs
View Sample

FREE Email Newsletter

ECN Daily

Bug or Windshield?

December 9, 2009 6:30 am | Comments

As I write this blog in early December the Dow is reaching 14 month highs, indicating a belief that the worst is behind us.  While many believe there will be more bumps in the road and the unemployment picture hasn’t improved much, the tide is changing.   Thoughts are shifting from conservation of resources to the best deployment of resources to generate growth as consumer demand improves.

TOPICS:

"I'd Like to Check Out Two Books, One DVD, and One Electrical Meter, Please."

December 8, 2009 7:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Yesterday I wrote about my experience using a digital electrical meter at home. Today I'll discuss what I'm doing with promoting their use in my home town. According to one popular environmental Web site, there are a number of libraries providing fre

TOPICS:

Company unveils world’s first commercial spaceship

December 8, 2009 7:14 am | Comments

These are the voyages of the VSS Enterprise. To ferry civilians into space. To collect $200,000 a head. To boldly go where few space tourists have gone before!

FCC grills Verizon on increased Early Termination Fees

December 7, 2009 10:16 am | Comments

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is investigating why Verizon Wireless doubled their Early Termination Fees for “Advanced Devices.” The $350 ETF for “Advanced Devices” went into effect 11/15, and applies to PDAs and Smartphones (such as RIM Blackberries).

You Can't Manage Energy Use That You Don't Measure

December 7, 2009 5:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

"You can't manage what you don't measure" is a common management adage. It applies well to energy as well. I think I do a decent job at restricting my energy usage at home. After all, I'm supposed to be an energy expert. But who would have thought th

TOPICS:

“Wingsuits” developed for airborne troops

December 4, 2009 5:22 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

Here’s another example of life imitating art—SPELCO (Special Parachute Equipment and Logistics Consortium) is working on a personal glider that looks straight outta Science Fiction. With its glide ratio of 5:1 and self-propulsion system, the “Gryphon” could become an invaluable tool in the future warfighter’s arsenal.

TOPICS:

Have You Used LED Light Strings?

December 3, 2009 9:53 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

This week, you read about LED holiday light strings, which can use 90% less energy than regular incandescent light s

Save Money with LED Holiday Light Strings

December 1, 2009 8:55 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

It's hard to believe, but the holidays are in full swing and many of you are starting to decorate your homes. Those of you who started around Halloween are probably feeling pretty smart because you got your decorating done while the weather was nice.

Energy Efficiency Can Be at the Top of Your Shopping List

November 30, 2009 1:54 pm | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

I don't know about you, but about the last thing I want this year for the holidays is another mustard-yellow sweater. Sure, it's nice to have some extra-warm clothes stashed in the top drawer of the dresser this time of year, but I'm clearly maxed-out in the

Go Forth!

November 24, 2009 9:00 am | Comments

Levis (the jeans people) have been suggesting that people Go Forth. http://goforth.levi.com/fortune  I'd like to make a similar suggestion. Not about jeans, but about software. Go Forth.

Neighborhood Development Package Revisited

November 24, 2009 8:37 am | Comments

Since I wrote Neighborhood Development Package on November 11, 2006, I have been thinking about the pieces needed to make the system work 24/7. The full article is below but let me give you a short review. My idea was to electrify a neighborhood in order to educate, communicate, and pump water.

Green Living, Green Technologies: Things to Be Thankful For

November 24, 2009 4:53 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

It's nearly Thanksgiving, the second of the "big" holidays that break up the last three months of the year. One of the most common family traditions is listing the things for which we are thankful. These are mostly items such as "family," "friends" or "good

Autonomous Military Robots: A Short Survey

November 24, 2009 4:19 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

The four soldiers move from their concealed position and “stack” themselves, one behind the other, parallel to the door. The #2 man throws an M84 grenade (flashbang) into the room, then yells “frag out!” The flashbang detonates, and the fire team storms through the “fatal funnel” (door).

Tips to Green Your Home

November 23, 2009 12:52 pm | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Last week, the Environmental Protection Agency announced its new green homes Web site. The site provides an interactive experience that helps people

Phil Sluder Writes Good Stuff

November 23, 2009 8:53 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

Here's a good article by Phil on SolidWorks 2010. I like the bio at the end: Phil Sluder is a mechanical engineer, owner of TriAxial Design and Analysis, certified SolidWorks instructor, certified SolidWorks professional, a longtime member of the SWUGN committee, and leader of the San...

Pages

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.