Blogs
View Sample

FREE Email Newsletter

ECN Daily

SWUGN Year in Review - March 2009

December 15, 2009 9:52 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

Top StoryRodney Hall gets in his car and drives four hours to his new job. The 300+ mile drive is nothing compared to the 16 hours he spent on the road to attend SolidWorks World in Orlando. Armed with a webcam, a Skype account, and a huge following in the SolidWorks Community,...

Looking for E85? There's an App for That

December 15, 2009 8:53 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Want to know where you can buy E85? There's an app for that now. The Renewable Fuels Association (RFA) has launched a new application for Garmin and TomTom GPS units that that ma

TOPICS:

The Myth of the Google Phone

December 15, 2009 7:19 am | by Farhad Manjoo | Comments

For months, tech blogs have been salivating over the possibility that Google will soon release a cell phone of its own. This discussion has always been a little strange. Google launched its mobile operating system Android two years ago, and we've seen the release of several Android devices since then, including the much-acclaimed Motorola Droid.

TOPICS:

Amazon Unveils Auction Site for Cloud Computing Bandwidth

December 15, 2009 5:34 am | by Jon Brodkin , Network World | Comments

Amazon's cloud computing division is unveiling an eBay-style auction service that will let users bid on unused virtual server capacity, potentially allowing customers to lower the cost of running applications on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud.

TOPICS:

SWUGN Year in Review - February 2009

December 14, 2009 12:53 pm | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

Top StorySolidWorks World 2009 attracts over 4,500 attendees in what many would consider a down year economically. The attendance figure surprises everyone, including the event caterer, and the Monday breakfast falls a little short food-wise. Richard Branson is interviewed by Jeff Ray at...

SWUGN Year in Review - January 2009

December 14, 2009 10:52 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

The Top StoryWith a single blog post, Ricky Jordan's wife Christy becomes the most famous SolidWorks Community member in Alabama. Christy follows up her hilarious shot at engineers by providing tubs of homemade goodies for Ricky to bring to SolidWorks World 2009 in Orlando (I got some -...

SWUGN Year in Review - Part 0

December 14, 2009 8:53 am | by Richard Doyle's Community Blog | Comments

Well it's not quite the end if the year yet, but with the Holiday Season coming up I think it's close enough. The SolidWorks User Group Network enjoyed another banner year in 2009. Over the next few days, I'll recap what I think were the top monthly stories in the SolidWorks Community....

Saving Energy Where It Matters Most: A Hopeful Look at the Big Picture

December 14, 2009 4:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Most of the time, I feel like I'm doing my part to save energy, and I'm getting better all the time. But sometimes I feel like what I do to try to offset the unfathomable amount of energy that's consumed around me, and around the country, is so tiny that my

TOPICS:

Army Develops Robotic Helicopter Sniper

December 10, 2009 11:21 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

Collateral damage has become synonymous with modern urban warfare. In fact, the concept of “total war,” where there is “less (or no) differentiation between combatants and non-combatants (civilians),” has existed since The Peloponnesian War. As far back as 431 BC, civilian casualties were considered an acceptable (and often desirable) outcome of total warfare.

TOPICS:

Have You Used an Electric Meter to Measure Your Energy Use?

December 10, 2009 9:56 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

This week, you read about using an electric meter to measure and manage your energy use. Using a meter could

TOPICS:

Motion Control Device Adds Pizzazz to Web Surfing

December 10, 2009 9:22 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

Back at CES ’09, I had the chance to preview Hillcrest Labs’ MEMs Accelerometer based motion control technology. They’ve since marketed it as a consumer device, the Loop Pointer.

TOPICS:

Air Force Confirms Existence of Stealth UAV

December 10, 2009 8:42 am | by Jason Lomberg, Technical Editor | Comments

The Air Force has confirmed the existence of a new Stealth Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Designated the RQ-170 Sentinel, “The Beast of Kandahar" has been spotted over Afghanistan as early as 2007. The military plans to deploy it for reconnaissance and surveillance missions.

TOPICS:

ECN Launches Annual 'Tops in Test' Contest

December 10, 2009 8:38 am | Comments

ECN magazine is announcing both a new test-oriented blog and an annual contest on Best Test Practices.

Bug or Windshield?

December 9, 2009 6:30 am | Comments

As I write this blog in early December the Dow is reaching 14 month highs, indicating a belief that the worst is behind us.  While many believe there will be more bumps in the road and the unemployment picture hasn’t improved much, the tide is changing.   Thoughts are shifting from conservation of resources to the best deployment of resources to generate growth as consumer demand improves.

TOPICS:

"I'd Like to Check Out Two Books, One DVD, and One Electrical Meter, Please."

December 8, 2009 7:52 am | by Energy Savers Blog | Comments

Yesterday I wrote about my experience using a digital electrical meter at home. Today I'll discuss what I'm doing with promoting their use in my home town. According to one popular environmental Web site, there are a number of libraries providing fre

TOPICS:

Pages

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.